7 forms of sex trafficking in the US:
- Massage parlors- Most of these establishments, which are usually a front for trafficking, are run by Asians who employ Asian women with a promise of a legitimate job but then force them into prostitution. The Asian women are both documented and undocumented, and are expected to have sex with 6-10 men on a daily basis. These types of massage parlors often open shop and operate in strip malls, office buildings, and sometimes in a residential home. They reside in suburban, urban, and rural areas in almost all of the 50 states in the U.S.
- Internet Based-The internet is the number 1 resource for pimps, traffickers, and johns looking to buy and sell women and children for sex in the U.S. Victims who are trafficked online are done so through pimp controlled sex-trafficking, escort services, in-call and out-call services, chat room, pornography, and brothels disguised as massage parlors which advertise on websites such as Backpage.com which is part of the Village Voice Media here in New York City. The ads may seem like they are individuals who are posting them but in reality they are victims of sex-trafficking. There is also a code language that is used when trafficking minors. For instance a 15 year old may list herself as 19 or 20 or just simply say “young” so as to go undetected by police.
- Residential Brothels-Victims of this type of trafficking are forced to provide commercial sex to high volumes of men on a daily basis. In certain networks there are women and girls that serve as many as 4 men per hour, every 15 minutes, totaling 48 men in a 12 hour day. In this type of brothel they are women and children form Latin America. There are quite a few of these networks that are closed off and are only for Latino men and johns. They do not advertise online or in newspapers, it is word of mouth through business cards or “tarjetas”. Very similar to the “chica” cards in Queens New York where you can order a girl anytime ad she will be driven right to your door.
- Street Prostitution- A large portion of trafficking victims can be found on the streets controlled by a pimp and forced to provide commercial sex services. The pimps use physical violence to coerce and force adults and minors to perform these sexual acts for money. They will also lie, threaten, and give false promises and false hope. Most victims earn and average of $500 to $1000 a night which in turn goes to the pimp. In this type of forced prostitution the victims are usually U.S. citizens which include adults, girls, boys, and transgender youth. Rarely are immigrants seen in this form of trafficking.
- Hostess & Strip Clubs-Women who are victims of both labor and sex trafficking can be found in Hostess Clubs and Strip Clubs. When they are trafficked in for sex they are forced to provide commercial sex to the club patron by their pimp, employer or controller in addition to their dancing and hostess work. The victims are one of the following : U.S. Citizens, undocumented immigrants, or foreign nationals with a tourist, summer work, or entertainment group visa. Hey usually tend to be adult women but some networks will exploit minors.
- Escort Services-These are the perfect venues where women are forced into commercial sex. These are “in-call” & “out-call” services that are provided to johns. The “out-call” is when the individual goes to the john’s location and the “in-call” is when the john goes to the individual. The agency, pimp, or controller makes these appointments and monitors the victim. They will take some or all of her earning at the end of the night. Escorts are normally female but some can be male. They can also be adults or minors, U.S. Citizens or immigrants. Escorts will tend to advertise mostly online through venues such as Backpage.com.
- Truck Stops-There are often two ways that sex trafficking occurs at truck stops in the United States. One is through pimp-controlled prostitution and the other is through massage parlors. Pimps tend to move their victims from city to city and force them to engage in commercial sex at truck stops along the way. Brothels that are disguised as legitimate massage parlors are often located near truck stops. The women are controlled through confinement and complicated debt bondage.
Polaris Project 2012 State Ratings Map:
Global Sex Trafficking:
- Trafficking women and children for sexual exploitation is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world.
- This, despite the fact that 134 countries criminalize sex trafficking.
- At least 20.9 million adults and children are bought and sold worldwide into commercial sexual servitude, forced labor and bonded labor.
- About 2 million children are exploited every year in the global commercial sex trade.
- Almost 6 in 10 identified trafficking survivors were trafficked for sexual exploitation.
- Women and girls make up 98% of victims of trafficking for sexual exploitation. (Equality Now)
**Sex trafficking is a human rights violation**